[phenixbb] Memory and CPU usage

Jon Agirre jon.agirre at gmail.com
Sun Jul 22 04:31:43 PDT 2012

Dear Nat and Pavel,

thank you so much for your explanations. Assuming that the 8 in Nat's
formula provides conversion to bytes, it is not such a big RAM requirement.
I guess most virus structures should be approachable with an 8GB machine.

About the CPU, I think I'm going to invest in a quad-core. I feel quite
comfortable in command line and I don't have fear paralelizing existing
code.

Thanks again,

Jon

2012/7/21 Pavel Afonine <pafonine at lbl.gov>

>  But the resolution_factor is inconsistent - for the FFT structure
>> factors calculation (which is unavoidable), we are definitely using
>> 1/3 (I assume for speed reasons).  For most of the other optional
>> tasks like rotamer correction and filling missing F-obs, it's 1/4.
>>

> Yes, we use 1/3 for structure factors and gradients calculations, and 1/4
> in map calculation if the map is going to be used for things like water
> picking, real-space refinement, etc. This is intentional.
>
> Pavel

Jon Agirre, PhD
Biophysics Unit (CSIC-UPV/EHU)
http://www.ehu.es/jon.agirre