[phenixbb] question on molecular replacement

Andrew Purkiss-Trew Andrew.Purkiss-Trew at cancer.org.uk
Mon Jun 11 06:38:28 PDT 2012

For this resolution and type of problem, generating a Selenomethionine derivative is probably overkill.

Firstly, you can try abinitio methods such as Archimboldo (http://chango.ibmb.csic.es/ARCIMBOLDO/), which can work on 2Angstrom data given a helical structure.

Secondly, try generating derivative datasets. So, for example, Potassium Iodide may bind to the helices and give good anomalous phase information even on a home source. SIRAS can then be used to solve the structure. You will need to spend some time getting a good derivative, but it is generally quicker and cheaper than producing SeMet protein.

Good Luck,

Andrew Purkiss.
X-ray Lab Manager
London Research Institute.