[phenixbb] phenixbb Digest, Vol 79, Issue 4

Kay Diederichs kay.diederichs at uni-konstanz.de
Thu Jun 14 00:23:11 PDT 2012

"A 64bit operating system" can only run on hardware that supports
64bits. Here, 64bits refers to addresses in memory - arrays larger than
4GB need 64bit addressing because 32bits do not allow high enough
numbers to index such arrays.

It has nothing to do with the maximum value of an integer - that is set
by the programmer.
A programmer can (depending on programming language and compiler)
usually decide whether integer numbers should be of size 4 bytes or 8
bytes. It is just by coincidence that 8 bytes are 64 bits.

Here it seems to me that a 8byte integer would be needed to hold the
number of cubicles.

best,

Kay