[phenixbb] MR_Rosetta

Randy Read rjr27 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Jun 15 13:04:37 PDT 2012

Dear Heather,

MR_Rosetta can do amazing things, but it might also be worth trying something more manual that has worked for us for several structures with models in the 20% range (e.g. angiotensinogen).  Get a number of models from the HHpred search, use the HHpred alignment to superimpose them with phenix.ensembler and turn on the trim option (Ensemble generation settings -> Trim residues deviating more than threshold).  This prunes the ensemble back to the conserved core, which (with any luck) should also be preserved in your target structure.  Pruning off things that are wrong turns out to be very good for improving the signal-to-noise.  After ensembler, run phenix.sculptor (using your HHpred alignment) to trim off the non-conserved side chains from the trimmed ensemble) and then try to solve it in Phaser with the resulting sculpted ensemble.

Good luck!

Randy

-----
Randy J. Read
Department of Haematology, University of Cambridge
Cambridge Institute for Medical Research    Tel: +44 1223 336500
Wellcome Trust/MRC Building                         Fax: +44 1223 336827
Hills Road                                                            E-mail: rjr27 at cam.ac.uk
Cambridge CB2 0XY, U.K.                               www-structmed.cimr.cam.ac.uk