[phenixbb] Refinement using data with pseudo translational symmetry

Gino Cingolani Gino.Cingolani at jefferson.edu
Sun Mar 18 08:52:47 PDT 2012

Dear Bret,

I'd bet your structure is pseudo-merohedrally twinned in P21 (twinning operator h,-k, -l).
We had a similar problem with gp26 structure (an elongated fiber) that crystallized in a
pseudo-P212121 cell, which, in reality was P21 with dimensions
a = 40.5 b = 117.5 c =171.6 Å with the β-angle ~90.2°
Refinement was stuck at ~32% before taking into account twinning.
Good luck!

Gino

Gino Cingolani, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Thomas Jefferson University
Dept. of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology
233 South 10th Street - Room 826
Philadelphia PA 19107
Office (215) 503 4573
Lab (215) 503 4595
Fax (215) 923 2117
E-mail: gino.cingolani at jefferson.edu
Website: http://www.cingolanilab.org

"Nati non foste per viver come bruti, ma per seguir virtute e canoscenza"

("You were not born to live like brutes, but to follow virtue and knowledge") Dante, The Divine Comedy (Inferno, XXVI, vv. 119-120)