[phenixbb] NCS operators

Jeff Headd jjheadd at lbl.gov
Mon Mar 19 21:37:20 PDT 2012

Hi Melania,

When you say you have one domain that is related by 3-fold symmetry and one
related by 6-fold symmetry, are each of these domains independent chains?
Or are these sub-domains of a single chain?

The torsion NCS restraints should work correctly if the domains are
independent chains. If not, it will take some parameterization.

The first thing to try will be to run:

mmtbx.find_torsion_angle_ncs_groups model.pdb

This command will output what the torsion NCS routine finds for NCS groups
by the automated method. If this gives you the NCS groups that you are
after, then all you need to do is add two options to your parameter file
(or turn these options on in GUI):

main.ncs=True ncs.type=torsion

If you are not getting the NCS groups that you would like, it is possible
to specify them by hand with:

ncs.torsion.restraint_group {
  selection = 'chain A'
  selection = 'chain B'
}

ncs.torsion.restraint_group {
  selection = 'chain C'
  selection = 'chain D'
}

etc.

If you'd like me to take a look at your file and see how the torsion NCS
code is interacting with it, I'd be happy to.

Jeff