[phenixbb] phenix.reciprocal_space_arrays question

Pavel Afonine pafonine at lbl.gov
Thu Mar 1 13:40:10 PST 2012

Hi Michael,

phenix.reciprocal_space_arrays outputs a number of arrays that are
popular in various crystallographic calculations (I can add more if needed):

http://phenix-online.org/documentation/reciprocal_space_arrays.htm

For example:

1)
Fmodel - is the total model structure factor, that is used almost
everywhere: R-factor, maps, refinement targets calculations, etc. Fmodel
includes all scales and bulk-solvent, and it is defined as:

   Fmodel = scale * exp(AnisoScale) * (Fcalc + k_sol * exp(-b_sol*s^2/4)
* Fmask)

   where:

   - Fmodel - total model structure factor (complex value)
   - AnisoScale = -ht*A(-1)*b_cart*A(-1)th/4
   - h - column vector with Miller indices
   - A - orthogonalization matrix
   - b_cart - anisotropic scale matrix
   - t and (-1) denotes transposition and inversion operations
   - scale - overall scale factor
   - Fcalc - structure factors calculated from atomic model
   - k_sol and b_sol - Flat Bulk solvent model parameters
   - Fmask - structure factors calculated from bulk solvent mask

You will notice that Fmask, Fbulk and Fcalc are also output by
phenix.reciprocal_space_arrays.

2) To compute a map, like 2mFobs-DFmodel, you also need m (=FOM, figure
or merit) and D (=ALPHA, in this notations).

etc..

Hope this answers your questions.

Pavel