[phenixbb] v1.8.1 installation hangs

Nathaniel Echols nechols at lbl.gov
Sat Nov 17 17:53:44 PST 2012

On Sat, Nov 17, 2012 at 5:36 PM, Alex Theodossis <alex.theodossis at monash.edu
> wrote:

> I'm attempting to install the latest version of phenix on mac 10.5.8,
> using the command line installer.
> Installation proceeds well until towards the end, where it hangs on:
>
> precompiling .py files
>
> I can leave it for up to an hour without any further progress, but upon
> typing:
>
> ctrl+c
>
> The installation comes back to life and proceeds to completion.
> Can anyone advise as to what might be causing this and on how reliable
> this installation is going to be?

I haven't heard of this before; it doesn't sound like it will be easy to
figure out.  The practical consequence is that the Python interpreter will
need to compile the modules later - and if you don't have write access to
the installation directory, this will need to be done again every time you
launch Phenix.  Whether this gets annoying depends partly on what you're
running, but also whether the problem is specific to compiling Python
modules and not some bug in our installer scripts (or unreproducible freak
error).

There is actually a command entirely for the precompile:

libtbx.py_compile_all

I would recommend running this on the command line; if it takes forever,
ctrl-C it and please send me the Python traceback.

The other alternative is to run the graphical installer, which already has
precompiled Python modules - the only drawback is the unusual location:

/Applications/PHENIX-1.8.1-1168/Contents/phenix-1.8.1-1168

-Nat