[phenixbb] "H" atom refining occupancy with previous altconf residue in sequence

Pavel Afonine pafonine at lbl.gov
Fri Oct 26 14:41:41 PDT 2012

The current behavior is intended one and asserted by regression test:

phenix_regression/refinement/tst_refinement_occ_of_h3.py

If you remove hydrogens from that PDB file, and then add them back,
Reduce will add H on MET30, and its occupancy will be inherited from
atoms in MET29 that define its position.

phenix.refine in turn will pick up that for occupancy refinement
according it its default behavior.

Jeff: the occupancy of H in MET30 does match the occupancy of relevant
atoms in preceding residue (MET29). I verified this with this specific
example, and also this is asserted in the above test.

We discussed this multiple times in the past and current behavior is the
consensus one. If this is not what we want then we need to fix Reduce.

Pavel