No subject

Tue Sep 25 15:04:34 PDT 2012

If the data are correctly indexed on a right handed basis system, the assig=
nment of "F+" and "F-" is such that the experimental electron density map w=
ill show amino acids and helices with the correct hand. However, if by acci=
dent a left handed system was chosen (for example if the sign of Y SCALE in=
 Denzo was chosen incorrectly), the experimental electron density map will =
have the wrong hand.=0A=
=0A=
Followed by the original denzo manual:=0A=
Closer inspection of Figure 5 above should convince you that there are two =
possible "hands" to conventions. These are grouped as {1,4,5 and 8} and {2,=
3,6, and 7}. To use an X-ray film analogy, this is equivalent to looking at=
 the film either from the back side(ie. towardsthe X-ray source) or from th=
e crystal side. Denzo handles this abberation by changing the sign of the Y=
 SCALE keyword from positive to negative. If this is not done, then the ass=
ignment of the Friedel mates (Bijvoet differences) will be inverted, and th=
us the hand of the structure will be similarly inverted.=0A=
=0A=
As a side note, what is the upper limit on number of Se sites Autosol shoul=
d be able to find? i have between 200 and 300 depending on the contents of =
the asymmetric unit.=0A=
=0A=
Thanks again for all of the responses.=0A=
Todd=0A=
=0A=
=0A=