[phenixbb] Turn off non-bonded interactions to measure distance in case of unknown interaction

Edward A. Berry BerryE at upstate.edu
Fri Apr 19 18:41:58 PDT 2013

In deciding what kind of interaction is going on, I wanted to know what the
distance involved was. But I wasn't sure how the distance I measure in the
refined structure would be affected by assumptions that phenix.refine was
making- If there was really a hydrogen bond but phenix was applying non-bonded
interaction, would that bias it to longer distances?

But I am embarrassed to say the problem has gone away because it looks
like the fit is better with the ring flipped, and what seemed to be shorter than
sum of vanderwals radii with S is just fine with C there. Perhaps because of phase
bias the density was ambiguous before, but maps calculated with the ring flipped
show significantly stronger density in the new position of the S atom.  May be
worth trying to look at Bijvoet diff maps.
Still the information about the "slack" term is good to know.