[phenixbb] On Mac two separate installations?

Nathaniel Echols nechols at lbl.gov
Mon Jul 22 12:02:34 PDT 2013

On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 10:11 AM, Joseph Noel <noel at salk.edu> wrote:
> Does one have to install both the GUI and command line installers on a Mac
> if one wants to have the option of running using the command line (for
> command line only options in nightly builds) and the GUI?

No.  If you use the graphical installer, then you can access the
command-line tools like this:

source /Applications/PHENIX-dev-1435/Contents/phenix-dev-1435/phenix_env.sh

(assuming you're using Bash like most Mac users, otherwise remove
".sh" for [t]csh)

If you use the command-line installer instead, it should make an
iconified launcher for the GUI as well, otherwise the "phenix" command
will start that.  But I would just use the graphical one; I will
investigate modifying this so it is clearer what to do.

Which command-line only options do you want to use?  Nearly all of
these should be in the GUI too - the exception is a few smaller and/or
newer utilities which I haven't had time or inclination to add yet.
Any feature in the programs which already have a GUI should be in
there already, just maybe not so obvious.

-Nat