[phenixbb] Linux distribution question: who needs the FC3 build?

Nathaniel Echols nechols at lbl.gov
Wed Jul 24 15:11:15 PDT 2013

On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 2:56 PM, Edward A. Berry <BerryE at upstate.edu> wrote:
> Would that be the end of support for 32-bit linux? Or would you build
> i686 version on a later version? (Or is it possible to run 64 bit
> executable on 32- bit operating systems with some kind of compatibility
> libraries and 64-bit capable hardware?)
>
> I have one Fc8 32 bit machine which I don't want to upgrade, but I don't
> really need to run phenix on it.

Just to clarify: we will continue distributing 32-bit Linux
indefinitely (although probably on fewer platforms than 64-bit), and
we will at least support Fedora 8 at a minimum for a while, since our
most important development system is still running it.  The question
is really related to how ancient a distribution we need to support,
and what scenarios are especially difficult for binary
cross-compatibility.

-Nat