[phenixbb] autobuild mistake

Terwilliger, Thomas C terwilliger at lanl.gov
Wed Oct 23 11:57:01 PDT 2013

Hi Heather,

If you run a file like RUN_FILE_3.sh a second time, it will start a new clean sub-process...but then it will overwrite the file INFO_FILE_3 with the information from this second run.   AutoBuild uses the INFO_FILE_# files to figure out where the results are from the sub-processes.  In principle this should have worked (AutoBuild should have waited for your extra run to finish, should have combined the results from this extra run with the results from the 3 normal sub-processes, and ignored the 4th normal sub-process). I am guessing that perhaps you stopped your extra run (that would have been a pretty natural thing to do), and then AutoBuild was waiting for your stopped run to finish.

So yes, you can try recombining the models you got so far.  I'm puzzled by the R-values of 999.9 thought, as that usually means that refinement failed for some reason.

Try running a command like this:

phenix.combine_models mtz_in=AutoBuild_run_6_/TEMP0/resolve_work.mtz \
  pdb_in=AutoBuild_run_6_/TEMP0/AutoBuild_run_8_/overall_best.pdb \
  second_pdb_in=AutoBuild_run_6_/TEMP0/AutoBuild_run_9_/overall_best.pdb  \
  pdb_out=combine_8_9.pdb

which will take the best parts of these two models and put them together in one model (if you are lucky).  Then take the resulting combine_8_9.pdb and do it again with second_pdb_in as run_10...etc.

You can use whatever map file is the best one you have for this.

You can also try combining the models by running autobuild:

phenix.autobuild data=data.mtz model=model.pdb rebuild_in_place=False acceptable_r=0.2  consider_main_chain_list="AutoBuild_run_6_/TEMP0/AutoBuild_run_8_/overall_best.pdb  AutoBuild_run_6_/TEMP0/AutoBuild_run_9_/overall_best.pdb AutoBuild_run_6_/TEMP0/AutoBuild_run_10_/overall_best.pdb AutoBuild_run_6_/TEMP0/AutoBuild_run_11_/overall_best.pdb"

which should use all those models as information for model-building.

The combine models keyword in autobuild is better suited for a rebuild_in_place run so that is not so appropriate.
I'm not too optimistic however given the R values...

All the best,
Tom T