[phenixbb] local BLAST server

Zhijie Li zhijie.li at utoronto.ca
Fri Aug 8 08:19:00 PDT 2014

Hi Rob,

Update:

You may want to check the pdbaa.gz first. It seems this is the PDB subset of
the nr database.
ftp://ftp.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/blast/db/FASTA/pdbaa.gz

ftp://ftp.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/blast/db/README says:
pdbaa.*tar.gz          | protein sequences from pdb protein structures,
| its parent database is nr.

Zhijie

===============
Hi Rob,

The BLAST nr database (fasta format) can be downloaded from the NCBI ftp:
ftp://ftp.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/blast/db/FASTA/
As I remember it is the nr.gz file. When unzipped the file is called "nr".

According to BLAST the nr database does contain PDB entries.
http://blast.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/Blast.cgi?CMD=Web&PAGE_TYPE=BlastDocs&DOC_TYPE=ProgSelectionGuide

It is significantly larger than the PDB data file you are currently using.
You might consider extract all the PDB sequences from it so that you do not
need to go through all the non-PDB sequences.

Zhijie