[phenixbb] Missing sanity check of duplicate resids within one chain?

Dale Tronrud detBB at daletronrud.com
Tue Aug 26 15:16:57 PDT 2014

   The PDB file format does not require unique residue names within a
chain (and this "feature" has caused me great problems over the years
since my software does).  As an example, at one point the powers that
be at the PDB decided that inhibitors should be in the same chain as
the protein they bind to (which I have no problem with) but renamed
them all to residue "1".  Most proteins already have a residue "1" so
this caused problems for people like me.  It did not, however, violate
the format.

   Coot is flagging this as a problem when it is not a violation of
the file format.  Coot has other problems with valid PDB files.  It
seems to operate correctly for only a subset of the world of valid PDB
files.

Dale Tronrud