[phenixbb] neutron scattering table for specific metal isotope

Tim Gruene tg at shelx.uni-ac.gwdg.de
Thu Dec 4 06:35:44 PST 2014

Hi Leif,

the procedure you suggest, i.e. to fix the coordinates from the
refinement against X-ray data, is of course possible in shelxl. This
means you use the X-ray structure as CONstraint.

I would, though, prefer to generate REstraints with prosmart and
transcribe its output into shelx format - which is not too difficult.
This way you allow room for differences between X-ray and neutron
diffractions that we may simply not be aware of (or are aware of like
the radiation damage you mention).

When I refined against neutron data, I did not consider it necessary
to take the X-ray structure into account at all. I guess you are
arguing that by using constraints there are more data available to
refine B-values AND occupancy. You are probably aware that these to
numbers are strongly correlated (>=90%!!) so that it is very tricky to
get get reliable numbers anyhow (see e.g.
http://www.sciencemag.org/content/346/6207/352). (Very) high
resolution data should help to reduce the CC, but I would be cautious
to think that mathematically increasing the data to parameter ratio by
using constraints improves the CC. But I never tried - shelxl prints
the highest CC values if you use 'MORE 3' and L.S. as minimisation
method (instead of CGLS).

Regards,
Tim