[phenixbb] neutron scattering table for specific metal isotope

Pavel Afonine pafonine at lbl.gov
Thu Dec 4 19:17:03 PST 2014

Hi Leif,

a few comments:

- occupancy, by definition, cannot be negative: "Occupancy is the
fraction of molecules in the crystal in which a given atom occupies the
position specified in the model" (where did I copy this from?.. anyway
you get the idea!).

- We had a discussion with Marat about this at some point. If I remember
correctly, files out of nCNS with negative occupancies are sort of
temporary files or the likes, and there is a script that converts them
into files that do not have negative occupancies and those files need to
go to PDB deposition. This is my vague recollection..

- Rfactor is a global metric that is unlikely to be sensitive to a
change in a parameter of one or a few atoms, unless these atoms
represent a significant fraction of the whole structure (for example, if
your structure consists of three atoms, and you vary an occupancy of one
of thee atoms, then yes, Rfactor will "see" it).

- In phenix.refine exchangeable H/D sites always: a) have the same
position, b) same B-factor, and c) their fractional (0<=q<=1)
occupancies add up to one. If you see something different, please report
a bug to me (a reproducible example that illustrates the problem).

All the best,
Pavel