[phenixbb] Real space refinement

Pavel Afonine pafonine at lbl.gov
Mon Feb 17 20:19:16 PST 2014

Hi Pete,

these are all good points. Refining against EM data in reciprocal space
is just a dirty work-around because refinement programs are all designed
to work with X-ray or neutron data, which are Fobs or Iobs, and because
of lack of similarly powerful real-space refinement programs.

If your data is the map ideally you should refine your model against the
map without having that questionable detour of converting the map into
structure factors. Also, many refinement strategies and algorithms can
be done differently: for example, one case take a great advantage of
local refinement techniques (such as fitting rotamers, morphing, etc..etc..)

All in all that's exactly why I started phenix.real_space_refine tool to
efficiently put together all real-space refinement tools we have in
CCTBX and Phenix. So once phenix.real_space_refine is fully functional
(hopefully soon!) I would suggest we abandon the option of refining
against EM map in reciprocal space.

All the best,
Pavel