[phenixbb] XDS data

Tim Gruene tg at shelx.uni-ac.gwdg.de
Tue Jan 14 10:24:02 PST 2014

Dear Ryan,

merged data are an old-fashiond left-over from days when disk space was
an issue. It's a shame the PDB only allow merged data, otherwise one
could much more easily retrieve data statistics and anomalous data from
what has been submitted. I would have thought phenix is more
sophisticated by merging internally.

There is also no point in using XSCALE on a single data set, since the
CORRECT step in XDS already scales the data, i.e. XDS_ASCII.HKL is ready
for further treatment without scaling.

If you want to convert XDS output to mtz, I would actually pass on
Clemens Vonrhein's recommendation to use

 pointless->aimless (keyword 'onlymerge'!!!)->truncate

it is a lot more convenient than using XDSCONV.

Best,
Tim