[phenixbb] alternatives to RMSD

Pavel Afonine pafonine at lbl.gov
Fri Jul 4 20:34:33 PDT 2014

Hi Patrick,

RMSD is a poor measure in this case as it does not account for
B-factors, occupancies, alternative conformations and so on information
a crystal structure model may make available. Macromolecules are not a
bunch of points in space.

While I'm sure more thorough methods exist, I would vote for the
simplest, most direct and obvious one. You can calculate electron
density map using a Gaussian approximation from model A and B (yes,
electron density map - not a Fourier image of it!). That will naturally
account for all: B-factors, occupancies, other disorder. Then you can
calculate a map similarity measure, such as map correlation, for
instance. After all, why use a cannon to kill a fly?!

If you are interested to follow this route I can explain the details.

All the best,
Pavel