[phenixbb] Refinement with new mtz.file

Tim Gruene tg at shelx.uni-ac.gwdg.de
Mon Jul 21 07:05:17 PDT 2014

Dear Aleksandar,

the small gap between R and Rfree are indicative that you contaminated
your Rfree set, and very likely you overrefined your structure.

Did you copy the Rfree set from the old mtz-file to the new one? If not,
this would explain the small gap between R and Rfree.

You can add some noise to your PDB file to make it independent from the
Rfree set. Maybe this will also help to reduce the overrefinement a bit.

Do you have many water molecules in the structure? at 3A resolution you
should not see too many of them, and the more you add the lower your
R-value gets.

Also make sure that all atoms have full occupancy. Less experienced
users seem to refine occupancies in a chemically non-realistic way.

Regards,
Tim

--
Dr Tim Gruene