[phenixbb] Refinement with new mtz.file

Pavel Afonine pafonine at lbl.gov
Mon Jul 21 07:55:41 PDT 2014

Hi Aleksandar,

the answer is in your statement:

"""
In the sake of completeness, I deleted the header of the used pdb.file
because of the R-flag error which occurs, since Phenix reconizes that
the pdb.file was already used with other Rflags.
"""

meaning that Rfree flags in new and old files are not consistent. In
turn, this means comparing R-factors in this case is nonsensical. Once
you switched to the new file simple forget about previous one along with
corresponding R-factors. Of course in new file free-r reflections are
not fully free, so you need to remove memory from them by running some
refinement.

May be a cleaner way is to transfer free-r flags from old to new file,
and then new flags for portions of new reflections that do not match the
old one. Again, R-factors will not be comparable between refinements
against old and new files.

Pavel