[phenixbb] Maximum Likelihood Method for Twinning

Peter Zwart PHZwart at lbl.gov
Wed Jul 30 07:50:41 PDT 2014

Hi Chris,

You are right of course; The infrastructural change needed to do this
in phenix will take considerable effort however.

regards
Peter

On 30 July 2014 10:05, Chris Fage <cdfage at gmail.com> wrote:
> On the topic of twin refinement, I think it would be useful to implement the
> input of multiple twin laws. Xtriage identified three twin laws, but I had
> to refine in Refmac5 because only one could be entered in Phenix.
>
> Thanks,
> Chris
>

> On Wed, Jul 30, 2014 at 12:33 AM, Pavel Afonine <pafonine at lbl.gov> wrote:
>>
>> In terms of actual implementation I have this in mind:
>>
>> http://www.phenix-online.org/newsletter/CCN_2011_01.pdf
>>
>> "Maximum likelihood refinement of twinned structures", page 29.
>>
>> Of course that would not stop (me) from implementing better ideas should
>> they arrive. However the paper mentioned above pictures a clear image of the
>> problem that we are going to address.
>>
>> Pavel
>>

>> On 7/29/14, 12:30 PM, Chris Fage wrote:
>>
>> Thank you, Randy, Nat, and Peter. I'll keep an eye out for that pub.
>>
>> Best,
>> Chris
>>

>> On Tue, Jul 29, 2014 at 7:59 AM, Randy Read <rjr27 at cam.ac.uk> wrote:
>>>
>>> Yes, we were hoping to make some generalisations and improvements before
>>> publishing this.  (Which we obviously haven’t gotten around to doing yet!)
>>>
>>> Randy
>>>
>>> -----
>>> Randy J. Read
>>> Department of Haematology, University of Cambridge
>>> Cambridge Institute for Medical Research    Tel: +44 1223 336500
>>> Wellcome Trust/MRC Building                         Fax: +44 1223 336827
>>> Hills Road
>>> E-mail: rjr27 at cam.ac.uk
>>> Cambridge CB2 0XY, U.K.
>>> www-structmed.cimr.cam.ac.uk

P.H. Zwart
Research Scientist
Berkeley Center for Structural Biology
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratories
1 Cyclotron Road, Berkeley, CA-94703, USA
Cell: 510 289 9246
BCSB:      http://bcsb.als.lbl.gov
PHENIX:   http://www.phenix-online.org
SASTBX:  http://sastbx.als.lbl.gov