[phenixbb] fem command/memory error

Roger Rowlett rrowlett at colgate.edu
Wed May 14 08:13:15 PDT 2014

4 Gb is the limit of addressable memory for 32-bit machines. The amount
of usable memory (RAM) is anywhere from around 2-3 Gbyte depending on
hardware configuration. Some hardware (e.g., a graphics card) reserves
memory space for itself, decreasing the amount available for usable RAM.

I believe all relatively modern (last 5-10 years?) CPUs are 64-bit
capable. A 64-bit machine should be able to address 16 Gbyte of memory.
(Minus hardware deductions for usuable memory space.)

Cheers,

_______________________________________
Roger S. Rowlett
Gordon & Dorothy Kline Professor