[phenixbb] fem command/memory error

Dale Tronrud detBB at daletronrud.com
Wed May 14 10:01:20 PDT 2014

   Yes, a 64 bit machine can address an incredible amount of memory...

   If all 64 addressing lines are brought out of the CPU chip.  The
chips (and motherboards) I'm aware of never do.  It is just not cost
effective since most people can't afford exabytes of RAM.  Most
desktop systems are limited to 16GB but you can get some motherboards
with 32GB capability.  I built a desktop system with 32GB last summer
for about $2000.  Servers are designed to hold more memory, at a much
greater cost.

   It was the same story for 32 bit computers.  The VAX 11/780 I
worded on as a PhD student was 32 bit but could only address 4MB of
RAM.  The lab could only afford to buy that much late in my PhD work.

Dale Tronrud