[phenixbb] CB outliers

Pavel Afonine pafonine at lbl.gov
Fri Nov 7 11:09:06 PST 2014

Hi Nat,

It is enabled by default because it is as equal piece of information as
restraints on lengths of covalent bonds, values of covalent angles and
all other restraints. It is simply extra information that would be shame
to not use actively especially if it comes for free, and is trivial to
define unambiguously (unlike Ramachandran restraints, for instance).

I've made it default perhaps a year ago and I've not seen any problem
related to this since then. I can demonstrate improvements in
low-resolution real-space refinement when using CB restraints vs not
using them, for example.
If you can bring an example that proofs your concerns (that is clearly
shows that using these restraints is counterproductive) I will be happy
to investigate!

As to diagnostics, I think proper use of existing metrics such as local
(per atom) 2mFo-DFc and mFo-DFc map fit, along with local standard
geometry quality metrics (clashes, deviations from ideal targets, etc)
should be totally sufficient to identify problems.

Pavel