[phenixbb] Filtering CCP4 maps to lower resolution

Pavel Afonine pafonine at lbl.gov
Thu Nov 13 16:19:58 PST 2014

Hi Ben,

complete representation of your map (the one in CCP4 formatted file) is
a reciprocal space box of reflections with miller indices being
|h|<N1/2, |k|<N2/2, |l|<N3/2 , where N1,N2,N3 is map gridding.

Converting map (from CCP4 file) into a set of structure factors in a
sphere of given resolution is an operation associated with loss of
information. Further truncation of resolution obviously results in
further loss of information. All in all this means the artifacts you
observe after these manipulations are expected.

Alternatively, I guess, you can do local averaging: replace each map
grid node with the average takes over all 27 nearest neighbors of that
node or all neighbors in a sphere of R around it (Wang's averaging). As
A. Leslie demonstrated original Wang's averaging can be done efficiently
in reciprocal space by convolution of structure factors with some
function (see that paper for details).

I can write a simple Python script for you to do this task.

Pavel