[phenixbb] R-factor difference between phenix and sftools

Pavel Afonine pafonine at lbl.gov
Mon Oct 13 11:21:46 PDT 2014

Thanks Tim, yes missed this one!

Hi Simon,

the differences in R-factors you observe are most likely because we use
improved bulk-solvent modeling and overall scaling procedure. This is
described here:

Bulk-solvent and overall scaling revisited: faster calculations,
improved results.
Afonine PV, Grosse-Kunstleve RW, Adams PD, Urzhumtsev A. Acta Cryst.
D69, 625-34 (2013).

Specifically, Figures 3-4 in this paper make your observations very
expectable.

Other contributions to differences are discussed here:

phenix.model_vs_data: a high-level tool for the calculation of
crystallographic model and data statistics.
P.V. Afonine, R.W. Grosse-Kunstleve, V.B. Chen, J.J. Headd, N.W.
Moriarty, J.S. Richardson, D.C. Richardson, A. Urzhumtsev, P.H. Zwart,
P.D. Adams J. Appl. Cryst. 43, 677-685 (2010).

Pavel