[phenixbb] Immediately available: Postdoctoral position in Computational Structural Biology

David Sivak dsivak at sfu.ca
Wed Sep 17 05:20:37 PDT 2014

Dear colleagues,

This fall I start my own research group in the Physics Department at Simon
Fraser University in Vancouver, British Columbia.  In the near future, I
hope to hire an exceptional, highly-motivated postdoctoral fellow to work
on computational structural biology.  Please forward this announcement to
any interested parties.

My group combines approaches from physics, information theory, and
statistics to study the fundamental principles of biomolecular function
under strong fluctuations.  The postdoctoral position will focus on the
development of model comparison methods to understand the conformational
heterogeneity revealed by structural biology experiments, especially X-ray
crystallography.  Within this broad research thrust there is ample freedom
to pursue particular areas of personal scientific interest.

Our theoretical flights of fancy are tethered to reality through a close
collaboration with the experimental group of Jaime Fraser at UC San
Francisco.  Postdoctoral fellows in my group will work in the
intellectually-stimulating and interactive biophysics community within SFU
Physics, with close ties to the Molecular Biology/Biochemistry department,
home to several top-notch structural biology groups.

In my own (possibly biased) opinion, the endless all-season outdoors
opportunities, mind-blowing food from all ethnicities, and mild weather
make Vancouver an enviable place to call home; slightly more objectively,
it makes every official top 5 list of most livable cities in the world.

The ideal candidate would have experience with computer programming,
biomolecular modeling and statistics, and a PhD in a relevant field
(broadly construed: physics, biophysics, chemistry, bio- or
chemical-engineering, molecular biology, or relevant areas of statistics,
computer science, applied math, etc).  But most important is intellectual
curiosity, enthusiasm for research in this area, and an excellent track
record in whatever field they have pursued.

Interested candidates should send me a cover letter and CV (including
publication list and contact information for 2-3 references). Further
information is available at:
http://davidsivak.com/

Thank you in advance!
David

--
David Sivak
Asst. Prof., Dept. of Physics, Simon Fraser U
david.sivak at gmail.com
davidsivak.com
778-928-7995