[phenixbb] Target function for refinement in case of Pseudo-translational symmetry

Pavel Afonine pafonine at lbl.gov
Mon Sep 29 08:36:30 PDT 2014

Hi Varun,

ideally this needs to be accounted for at the level of target function
calculation, as explained here:
http://journals.iucr.org/d/issues/2013/02/00/dz5268/dz5268.pdf
Intensity statistics in the presence of translational
noncrystallographic symmetry. Read RJ, Adams PD, McCoy AJ. Acta Cryst.
D69, 176-183 (2013).

In reality, this is not yet implemented for refinement.

It's not given that the minimum of ML coincides with the minimum of
R-factor, so in general minimization of ML does not guarantee drop in
R-factor, as explained here:

ftp://ftp.ccp4.ac.uk/ccp4/newsletter/oct_99/08_ml.ps

Also, the goal of ML-based refinement is not to obtain lowest R (as
explained in link above).

I wonder what happens if after LS refinement you switch back to ML: do
R-factors remain around 27.3/29.8 or they increase?

Pavel