[phenixbb] on reciprocal space refine of the electronic microscopy map by Phenix

Pavel Afonine pafonine at lbl.gov
Tue Apr 7 19:12:04 PDT 2015

Hi Smith,

if you've got cryo-EM map, built an initial model into it and want to
refine it then the most natural way to do so is to refine the model
against the map directly and NOT take a detour through reciprocal space
by converting the map into structure factors and then using the
crystallography-specific refinement programs.

There is a Phenix refinement tool specifically designed for this -
refinement of atomic models into cryo-EM maps or low-resolution X-ray
maps, described here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/imv2yzwodik13in/afonine_etal_wcpcw2015.pdf?dl=0

If for whatever reason you still want to do it the old way, then here
are two steps:
- convert the map into structure factors:
phenix.map_to_structure_factors map.ccp4

- then run phenix.refine the usual way.

More info at the bottom of this page:

http://phenix-online.org/documentation/

Pavel