[phenixbb] Importing project to Phenix

Nathaniel Echols nechols at lbl.gov
Wed Jan 14 13:12:25 PST 2015

On Tue, Jan 13, 2015 at 12:29 PM, Emilia C. Arturo (Emily) <eca38 at drexel.edu
> wrote:

> Lesson learned: don't fuss with the default files that phenix creates,
> particularly if you'd like in the future to move the project.

I would extend this to a more general piece of advice: regardless of what
program you're using, don't fuss with file contents (i.e. raw text) or
directory structure *ever* unless you are absolutely certain of what you're
doing and/or so desperate that you have no other option.  The whole point
of GUIs and high-level libraries (like Phenix, CCTBX, Coot, and even CCP4)
is to shield you from implementation details of how data are stored, and if
there are properties of the data that are inaccessible or need to be
modified but can't, that's a software bug, and trying to outsmart the
software is probably just going to break in other ways.  There are
certainly deficiencies in how the project tracking is handled in Phenix -
in particular the single user/single computer assumption - but these are
not something that a user would be able to fix manually.

-Nat