[phenixbb] Old Phenix jobs

Nathaniel Echols nechols at lbl.gov
Tue Jan 27 11:03:16 PST 2015

On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 7:31 PM, Mark A Saper <saper at umich.edu> wrote:

> I was looking at some old Phenix GUI jobs run in Sept 2010 with Phenix
> version 1.6.4.  Can these jobs be opened with the current (dev-1932) GUI ?
> When I try to restore a refinement job opens,  a window opens with the
> parameters used for the job, but no tab with the results.  When I try to
> restore other jobs, I receive an error when trying to open them:
> “UnicodeDecodeError : ‘utf8’ codec can’t decode byte 0x81 in position 35:
> invalid start byte”.

I thought I'd fixed the unicode bugs, sorry - will try to investigate when
I have a moment to spare.  The original intention was that old jobs would
be restorable in newer releases but there are practical limitations to this
due to the complexity of the information that's being stored.  I suspect
the error message is the explanation for what's breaking, but there are
other problems too, such as the structure and types of the configuration
parameters changing in a way that breaks the lower-level code, and it has
been difficult to catch these in advance.

Another thing I noticed about some of these jobs was that there are
> *.libtbx_info files in the phenix/tmp subdirectorty that are >100 Mbytes,
> even one that is 1.2 Gbytes!  Can these files be deleted.  I only see such
> large files for one particular structure.

Yes, these should definitely be deleted.

-Nat