[phenixbb] Optimal Linux configuration for Phenix.refine

Jim Fairman fairman.jim at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 09:06:41 PDT 2015

A few years back one of the PHENIX devs referenced Amdahl's Law and how it
affects the performance of PHENIX:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amdahl's_law

Even though some parts of the refinement are done in parallel on multiple
processors, the really time-consuming calculations are done in serial,
which ends up governing the overall speed of the process.

I have found that Intel Haswell-class processors like the Core i7 4770
perform refinements significantly speedier than our brand new 12-core Xeon
server that is less than 6 months old.  So it is my naive guess that
getting the fastest "single processor performance" will get you maximal
refinement speeds on PHENIX.

If you want to up the ante a bit more, you can always try overclocking
with liquid
nitrogen to hit 7.2 Ghz <http://valid.canardpc.com/240rw0>.

Cheers, Jim

On Wed, Jun 24, 2015 at 8:20 AM, Colin Levy <C.Levy at manchester.ac.uk> wrote:

>  Apologies for the slightly off topic question.
>
>  I am configuring a Linux workstation and would like your thoughts on an
> optimal setup for running Phenix. A lot of my computing time is spent in
> refinement and I am keen to put something together that will see a
> considerable increase in speed from my creaking Mac Pro (2 2.4GHz Quad core
> Intel Xeon with 24Gb RAM).
>
>  Many thanks,
>
>  Colin
>

>  Manchester