[phenixbb] how to generate an isomorphous difference map

Edward A. Berry BerryE at upstate.edu
Tue May 12 08:37:08 PDT 2015

On 05/12/2015 09:46 AM, Philip Kiser wrote:
> crystallogrphy,
>
> If you did everything correctly, you should be able to directly calculate the difference map in Coot from the MTZ file generated by PHENIX. You would need to open it with "Open MTZ" rather than "Auto open MTZ" and then select the appropriate map coefficients. Note that what Tim described (a real space difference map) is technically different from the traditional isomorphous difference map where the SF amplitudes of the two data sets are subtracted prior to the map calculation.
>
> Philip

Should be the same, due to linear property of the Fourier transform, EXCEPT for possible scaling differences and treatment of missing data.  This latter could be significant, since presumably the traditional methods omits reflections unless present in both datasets, whereas in Tim's method each map will be made with all data available in that dataset. As a result, the largest coefficients in Tim's difference map might be the reflections which are absent in one map and present in the other.  But if both have good completeness, it  may not matter.

eab