[phenixbb] Map quality

Pavel Afonine pafonine at lbl.gov
Fri May 15 09:37:03 PDT 2015

Hi Mohamed,

this is not a simple topic.. Two texts I suggest to have a look at are
listed below I'm sure there are more). They may not give you a quick
solution but perhaps will explain the issues.

Acta Cryst. (2014). D70, 2593-2606
Metrics for comparison of crystallographic maps

Acta Cryst. (2015). D71, 646-666.
FEM: feature-enhanced map

In a very nutshell,

- "1 sigma (or any other x sigma) level for one map may not be the same
as 1 sigma (or any other x sigma) level for another map";
- Think of "global vs local". Somehow you need to quantify map quality
locally.
- Map correlation (RSCC or map CC, for alternative names) may be a
misleading metric is used without care: for example, two poor but
similar map may give you high CC.

All the best,
Pavel