[phenixbb] phenix.polder - tool for calculating omit maps by excluding bulk solvent

Dorothee Liebschner dcliebschner at lbl.gov
Wed Apr 20 13:59:34 PDT 2016

Hi Tim,

I quickly looked over the SQUEEZE command in PLATON (are you referring to:
http://scripts.iucr.org/cgi-bin/paper?S2053229614024929 ?). To me, it does
not seem to be related to phenix.polder.

There is no complicated math involved in polder; slides 2-4 are a summary
of the flat bulk-solvent model (which is used in Phenix, and which is also
available in CNS and REFMAC).

The flat bulk-solvent model is described first here:
Phillips, S. E. (1980). *J. Mol. Biol.* *142*, 531–554.
I uses a similar concept than SQUEEZE, i.e. the total structure factor is
expressed as a sum of contributions from protein model and disordered
solvent.

More references can be found in this review about bulk solvent models in MX:
Weichenberger, C. X., Afonine, P. V, Kantardjieff, K. & Rupp, B. (2015). *Acta
Crystallogr. Sect. D Biol. Crystallogr.* *71*, 1023–1038.

The polder tool uses the bulk solvent mask (as it is generated for other
functionalities in phenix, such as phenix.refine), and then modifies the
mask locally. I am sorry if the presentation file is misleading, I should
maybe add some references to make clear what is summary and what is related
to the polder tool.

Best wishes,

Dorothee

PS:
I did not understand how the name "squeeze" relates to "polder"...