[phenixbb] Dual conformation on symmetry axis

Andreas Forster docandreas at gmail.com
Fri Feb 5 01:06:10 PST 2016

Dear Jan and Tim,

two little comments.

If Arg in A clashes with Arg in A* and Arg has multiple conformations,
couldn't you just fix the occupancy of the clashing conformation to 0.5?
The two will add up to one, and there won't be a clash left.  The remaining
0.5 occupancy would be in the other one or more conformations?

I agree with Tim regarding artefacts on symmetry axes.  However, please
don't remove side chains that are there.  I know this is a contentious
subject and has been discussed ad nauseam on the CCP4 mailing list, with no
consensus emerging.  To me it is a no-brainer that if a side chain is
present in the protein, it should be part of the model as well, whether at
zero occupancy or with mental B values (my preferred way) - though I
realize that far from everyone finds this argument convincing.  However,
for surface charge plots and for molecular dynamics simulations, complete
side chains are essential for correct parametrization.

All best.

Andreas