[phenixbb] Refine pixel size of map (for EM data)?

Reza Khayat rkhayat at ccny.cuny.edu
Mon Feb 8 06:08:58 PST 2016

Hi Oli,

Yes, this is a problem that has always plagued EM. Unfortunately it was never really dealt with because it's not much of an issue for lower resolution image reconstructions unless you're doing very detailed difference maps from the X-ray model. The problem is more pronounced now because atoms are finally being modelled into the reconstructions. This is something that most microscopists are not familiar with and thus do no go through the rigour of pixel correction. Most magnification/pixel size calibrations involve using diffraction from a 2D crystal with known cell parameters. This, in my opinion, is insufficient given that protein isomorphous x-tals are not all that common. Moreover, we know from our x-ray crystallography experiments that the final lattice constants of a x-tal are calculated during the scaling stage not just the indexing stage.

I would imaging that the rmsd values for your bonds and angles are a bit messed up as well. Your fastest way of dealing with the situation is to write scripts that modify the pixel size and calculate CC-values or R/Rfree factors between your model and the image reconstruction.

Reza

Reza Khayat, PhD
Assistant Professor
City College of New York