[phenixbb] Job opportunity at the NKI

Anastassis Perrakis a.perrakis at nki.nl
Tue Jan 26 07:01:11 PST 2016

We are looking for an enthusiastic co-worker who recently got a PhD in Structural Biology and has strong working experience in X-ray crystallography and a clear interest in cell biology mechanisms, aspiring to connect molecular chemistry and structure to the inner workings of a cell, using a wide portfolio of approaches.

You will study with us the mechanisms that ensure correct chromosome segregation during cell division in a project with a two-fold scope. First, in collaboration with the group of Geert Kops (Hubrecht Institute) we want to determine new structures and understand the function of proteins that control spindle checkpoint signaling. Second, in collaboration with the EMBL Grenoble Unit and the Diamond Light Source in the iNEXT (www.inext-eu.org <http://www.inext-eu.org/>) project, we want to establish, benchmark and extend fragment-based screening, using as our major targets mitotic proteins we work on. The two projects are scientifically coherent and significant preliminary work is in place.

You will be responsible for designing and executing all experiments as part of a small but lively team. The project will be supported by the NKI Protein Facility and state of the art instrumentation for expressing, purifying and crystallising proteins (including robotics), as well as a wealth of biophysical equipment, including surface plasmon resonance, microscale thermophoresis, isothermal titration calorimetry, fluorescence measurement, and light scattering. The NKI also offers a Robotics and Screening Centre, a Genomics core, Proteomics, Peptide synthesis, and Microscopy facilities.

The group is hosted in the Department of Biochemistry, a diverse and lively environment with enthusiastic colleagues. The NKI is an integrated hospital and research centre for cancer, and is located within minutes from the centre of Amsterdam and it’s cultural amenities.

The temporary employment will be for an initial period of 2 years. The gross salary per month will be ~3,300 Euro, according to the FWG-function group 55.6, or higher depending on previous experience. Foreigners are entitles to a 30% tax break, subject to a decision of the tax authorities.

For further information please contact Anastassis Perrakis, a.perrakis at nki.nl <mailto:a.perrakis at nki.nl>,  or send directly your CV including the names of three referees, no later than 19 February.

Anastassis (Tassos) Perrakis, Principal Investigator / Staff Member
Department of Biochemistry (B8)
Netherlands Cancer Institute,
Dept. B8, 1066 CX Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Tel: +31 20 512 1951 Fax: +31 20 512 1954 Mobile / SMS: +31 6 28 597791