[phenixbb] Weighting in phenix.real_space_refine

Pavel Afonine pafonine at lbl.gov
Tue Sep 13 08:29:47 PDT 2016

Hi Oliver,

the refinement target is

T = weight * Tdata + Trestraints .

So bigger weight makes map contribution more important and smaller
weight emphasizes restraints.

In your example, most segments yield weight=10 with a few outliers being
less than 1. The average weight used in refinement is about 10 (computed
after filtering outliers).

Technically it is possible to implement finding optimal weight for each
segment but as you can imagine this is going to be terribly slow.

I have not experimented with "optimal weight vs local map resolution".
But *speculating* I would say this is not important because refinement
target used in phenix.real_space_refine does not depend on map shape but
only map peaks.

Of course you can try splitting domains and refining them separately and
then assembling the full model back. But the differences you may see may
not necessarily be due to the weight (they may be because domains don't
see neighbors, for example).

It would be very nice to identity a very specific and clear example (and
small too so refinements run fast!) where using local weights vs global
actually does make a difference.. May be you or someone on the list has
something like this? That would be a starting point for me to do some
research in this direction.

Thanks for pointing “Dist moved from previous” issue - I will take care
of it..

Pavel