[phenixbb] Can I use PHENIX "Find NCS" tool to verify space group ?

Terwilliger, Thomas Charles terwilliger at lanl.gov
Sun Apr 23 07:35:55 PDT 2017

Hi Alex,

The notation that

This NCS object does not contain point group symmetry
This NCS object does not contain helical symmetry.

means that the NCS itself is not point-group or helical symmetry  (not including any space-group symmetry).
 For crystallographic data this summary is usually not useful because it doesn't include space-group symmetry in the calculation.

You can probably tell if your NCS is similar to the 2-fold axis in P 3(2) 2 1 that goes along (1,1,0) by examining the NCS log file.  It will have a summary of point-group symmetry like this:

 Analysis of NC symmetry using cutoff of   0.10 A as maximum
 distance between intersecting elements

Looking for point-group symmetry among  the            2 NC elements that might be members

 This point group is a rotation about  a line going through the point
 xyz (orthogonal A) =   12.858 -10.339  23.956
 xyz (fractional)=       0.224  -0.175   0.213
 in the direction of xyz (orthogonal A) =    0.807   0.294   0.513

In your case you are looking for this kind of point-group symmetry where the line goes through something like (0,0,0) or (0,0,0.5) and the direction is something like (0.866,0.50,0), corresponding to a line going half-way between the X and Y axes, where this 2-fold belongs in P 3(2) 2 1. (I could have some angles mixed up here but if you get  +-0.866 and +/- 0.5 in some order for x and y and 0 along z it's probably this 2-fold).

I'll be happy to look at your log file if you do this.

All the best,
Tom T