[phenixbb] Is it harmful to to use Imean SigImean in Phenix Refine by default?

Jeffrey, Philip D. pjeffrey at princeton.edu
Mon Dec 4 07:59:48 PST 2017

To put this in context:
I originally wrote that page when phenix.refine used a |F|>0 cutoff in refinement.  Given that I<0 often results in |F|=0 after the conversion the program threw out data for which we knew something (i.e. it was weak) albeit imprecisely.  That was a self-evidently bad idea.  However the defaults in phenix.refine have changed and as Ed Berry observes it does emulate CCP4's TRUNCATE now (in "truncate yes" mode, probably).

I convert my data with CCP4's TRUNCATE or CTRUNCATE programs.  For strong data I don't apply the French and Wilson intensity data remapping.  For weak data I do - but only for refinement purposes, not for SAD/MAD phasing.  My standard ploy is to use CAD to strip out Imean and SigImean from the MTZ file so that phenix.refine cannot attempt to "outsmart" me again.  And by outsmart I really mean "usurp my intentions".  I would suggest that everyone do the same - or at least test the difference.  My known bias is to trust CCP4 programs more.

Cheers
Phil Jeffrey
Princeton