[phenixbb] phenix.map_to_model input mtz file failure --caution on using map_to_model with X-ray data

Edward A. Berry BerryE at upstate.edu
Tue Jun 13 12:30:00 PDT 2017

Thanks, Pavel,
I really appreciate your taking the time to generate the example.

While I agree with Tim and Ian that refinement to convergence should
remove the bias making it perhaps not a serious problem, my question was
in fact whether there is any bias immediately after the refinement.

I will need to study this example a bit, but one thing I notice is
that you are doing exactly what I was guessing, comparing Rfree
after real-space refinement with and without using the free set.
Then, I still think, we
>>> have to think about how much of that difference results from
>>> bias towards the observed values (when the reflections are included) and
>>> how much is from bias towards zero (when the free set is excluded).

Things I need to look at-
What are R and R-free for the original refined model
What are R and R-free after shaking (did RSR lower R but not Rfree, or did it raise Rfree?
What if RSR is done using a map made with fill-in strategy?

Ed