[phenixbb] phenix.map_to_model input mtz file failure --caution on using map_to_model with X-ray data

Dale Tronrud detBB at daletronrud.com
Sun Jun 18 22:24:13 PDT 2017

How about this for an explanation of why setting Fcalc to zero doesn't
hurt so much?

   Lets assume that Fcalc is correlated with its corresponding Fobs.
(This is reasonable since your R values are 20 to 30%.)  I presume you
are refining against some sort of (2Fo-Fc, PhiC) map.  If you put in the
real Fc you will get amplitudes that are roughly equal to (Fo, PhiC)
since the Fc roughly cancels out one of the Fo.  For reflections where
Fc is zeroed out the coefficient will be, roughly, (2Fo, PhiC).  2Fo is
still pretty strongly correlated to Fo.  Certainly large Fo's will
produce large 2Fo's and small Fo's will produce small 2Fo's.

   A reflection with twice the amplitude but the same phase will have
peaks and valleys in exactly the same place, so I wouldn't expect huge
differences in the location of atoms.

   Now I have to ask exactly how this "set Fcalc to zero" works.  The
simple-minded thing would be to set Fc to zero in 2Fo-Fc and get 2Fo,
but I don't think this is the best thing to do.  The logic for
"(2Fo-Fc,Phic)" is that this is a good estimate of the "true" Fourier
coefficient given that you know the Fo amplitude and a (Fc,Phic) from a
model.  If you say, instead, that you know only the Fo amplitude and
Phic, you find that the centroid of that probability distribution is
(Fo, Phic).  Of course it is a little odd to say that you have a high
confidence in Phic but no confidence in Fc...  Since they are so tightly
coupled I would rather assume I don't know either if I wanted to leave
the test reflection out of the map calculation.  In that case the entire
coefficient has to be set to zero.  Maybe that is what is being done here.

Dale Tronrud