[phenixbb] Different stats with different number of macrocycles

Pavel Afonine pafonine at lbl.gov
Fri May 5 00:03:14 PDT 2017

phenix.refine updates weight every macro-cycle. It is true that a good
weight for macro-cycle 1 does not have to be a good weight for
macro-cycle 2, and a good weight for mc 2 is not necessarily good for mc
3, etc. This is one of reasons why doing just one macro-cycle isn't best
idea in general, unless you are experimenting with something particular.

Weight calculation used in phenix.refine isn't something I invented. We
use protocol implemented by Axel Brunger back in 1989 in X-plor and
since then nobody came up with a better way to do this (I did spend
quite some time investigating this matter).

Alternative way to calculate weight is implemented in TNT (by Dale
Tronrud); likely Refmac uses same idea. This is dictated by the
minimizer they use, which is 2nd derivatives-based.

Pavel