[phenixbb] phenix auto sharpen local sharpening masking artifacts?

Oliver Clarke olibclarke at gmail.com
Thu Feb 1 08:38:24 PST 2018

Hi,

I’m trying to run phenix.auto_sharpen with local sharpening, because I have an EM map that has a reasonably substantial variation in local resolution. This is the command I used:

phenix.auto_sharpen cryosparc_exp001049_008.mrc resolution=3.26 local_sharpening=true local_aniso_in_local_sharpening=true model.pdb nproc=4 seq_file=seq.fasta >& log &

The resulting map looks beautiful (maybe a little too beautiful??) around the model, but shows some funky looking masking artifacts in the density further away from the model (in the micelle region) - see screenshot. Am I doing something wrong? And can I trust that the density is completely free of model bias?

Cheers
Oli