[phenixbb] CSHL X-ray Methods in Structural Biology Course Oct 15-30th 2018: Application deadline June 15th

Paul Adams pdadams at lbl.gov
Mon Jun 4 20:09:20 PDT 2018

Dear Colleagues,

The June 15th deadline for applications to the CSHL X-ray Methods in Structural Biology Course to be held later this year, October 15 through October 30 2018, is rapidly approaching. This is a unique opportunity to become expert in the use of X-ray crystallography to solve challenging macromolecular structures.

The official course announcement can be found here:

	https://meetings.cshl.edu/courses.aspx?course=C-CRYS&year=18

please pass this on to people who might be interested and who would benefit, including your students and postdocs.

This comprehensive course is an outstanding place to learn both the theoretical and practical aspects of macromolecular crystallography, and consists of extensive lectures and practical sessions from experts in the field. The instructor team is: Alex McPherson, Bill Furey, Jim Pflugrath, Tassos Perrakis, and myself. We are assisted by world recognized experts in crystallization, data collection, data processing, structure solution, refinement, and validation (see the course link above for more details). The goal of the course is for researchers who have had some exposure to X-ray crystallography to become experts. This is an experience in macromolecular crystallography learning that cannot be found anywhere else, and the student/teacher ratio is often 1:1.

We expect participants to crystallize one or more proteins and determine their structures in a two week period. Students may also work on their own projects, but not exclusively. They will become very well-versed in the theory of X-ray diffraction and crystal structure determination, while also having lots of fun. Both synchrotron data collection and in-house diffraction data collection will be used to solve structures.

The course is limited to 16 participants due to the very hands-on nature of the experiments and the intimate seminar and laboratory settings. Please check the above web link for more details. In particular, please note the information about the various fellowships, scholarships, and stipends that are available. The course is supported with funds provided by the National Institute of General Medical Sciences, for which we are extremely grateful. Also there are stipends available from the Leona M. and Harry B. Helmsley Charitable Trust and the Howard Hughes Medical Institute to help offset the cost of tuition.

If anyone has any questions, please send me an e-mail, we will be happy to answer all queries.

  Cheers,
	Paul

--
Paul Adams
Division Director, Molecular Biophysics & Integrated Bioimaging, Lawrence Berkeley Lab

Building 33, Room 347
Building 978, Room 4126
Tel: 1-510-486-4225, Fax: 1-510-486-5909
http://cci.lbl.gov/paul

Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory
1 Cyclotron Road
BLDG 33R0345