[phenixbb] superpose CryoEM map onto an Xray map?

vincent Chaptal vincent.chaptal at ibcp.fr
Thu Oct 4 07:23:55 PDT 2018

Hi Pavel,

I am very lucky to see 2 maps of the same protein, at roughly the same
resolution, one by Xray and the other by EM (it's not that common). The
details from the 2 maps are however different...

Here is my procedure, please let me know what you think:
- convert .mrc map to .mtz ; I get F, PHIF.
- supperpose the maps:
map1: labels 2FOFCWT, PH2FOFCWT
map2: F, PHIF.
I also provided the 2 PDBs as it is clearly stated on the input files
definitions.

It worked, with the 2 maps superposed that I can look and compare.

However, for some reason, the superposition has been done on chain C and
D of the crystallograhic model instead of chain AB (4 chains in the
asymmetric unit, making 2 dimers). Is there a reason there, choosing the
closest structure, best fit? (I see that it is possible to define a
superposition)
Another thing is that it creates a "supperposition in the middle",
meaning neither on model1 nor model2 from the input, and not a
crystallographic symmetric of model1. So I can't use the full
crystallographic maps, I have a "simplified" version of it.

Please let me know if I'm doing something wrong as haven't yet invested
into understanding map formats.
Thanks
Vincent

ps: Zhijie, thanks for the Chimera tip. I'll have a look into it later.

--

Vincent Chaptal, PhD

MMSB -UMR5086

Drug Resistance and Membrane Proteins Laboratory

7 passage du Vercors

69007 LYON

FRANCE

+33 4 37 65 29 01